Update (April 2013): The YouTube.com/create program is no longer available.YouTube.com/create is a platform for third-party applications that enable users to create videos. The idea is simple. The third-party application runs in an HTML iframe on YouTube. The user creates a video with the application, and then the application uploads the video to YouTube for the user to watch and share.
Many different types of applications are already listed at YouTube.com/create. One True Media is a simple video editor. GoAnimate lets you create custom animations. Stupeflix lets you mix pictures, videos, maps, text, and music into a story. Xtranormal lets you turn anything you type into a fully-animated CG movie. Who knows what other developers have in store for YouTube.com/create?
Here’s one example of a company that decided to integrate with YouTube.com/create and experienced a signficant growth in traffic:
To list your application on YouTube.com/create, you’ll need the following:
- The name of your application (max 60 characters).
- A description of your application (max 50 words).
- A 120x120 icon. The icon will display with rounded corners.
- A tutorial video (hosted on YouTube).
- It must support Google federated login using OpenID.
- It must post the resulting video to YouTube. The application should upload the video on behalf of the user using OAuth2 or AuthSub.
- It must provide branding within the user interface if the user is required to upload assets (to make it clear that the upload is going to the third-party application, not to YouTube).
- It must not show ads within the iframe. However, the freemium model is acceptable, providing the base level of functionality is useful.
When you are ready to submit your application for inclusion on YouTube.com/create, submit it to the YouTube Project Gallery using the hashtag #create, and YouTube will contact you via email.
For more information about integrating with YouTube’s API, check out our developer documentation and join us on our mailing list!
—Shannon -jj Behrens, YouTube API Team